Friday 3 December 2010

“How to make films” - The Guardian


This was a little booklet I picked up from the Guardian over the weekend I shot my Anonymous me project in October. I thought with the booklet being a freebie in a newspaper it was going to be fairly basic and generic with no useful information for me I didn't already know, it did however contain soom interesting couple of pages about cinematography.


Attached are some scanned in images of the booklet.







The quote "painting with light" I would definitely agree with, hopefully undertaking this module I will develop some skills with lighting, framing, different lenses and colour grading techniques. 

I found the mini masterclass on page 32 quite interesting, it was a lot more useful for me than the opening page which was fairly introductory. It was also more personal, and I enjoyed that, for example, reading about Ryan Gilbey talking about hiding in a postmans cart while being pulled along to create a unique dolly shot, quite ingenious! 

Also the interview with Ben Davis was intriguing, especially the last question where he talks about risking his life for shot for Golden Eye being 100 feet in the air on a 50 year old cherrypicker rocking from side to side! I guess this just shows that you dont need the latest Zacuto gear to get a great shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment