Friday 3 December 2010

More examples of style within Se7en

Here below are a host of screenshots taken when I watched the film again, I could have taken more but these are the slect few I thought were most telling of David's style. There are examples of contrast, motivated lighting in different colours, shallow depth of field and silhouettes


contrast and Depth of field

Motivated lighting not always just white

again with green this time adds a certain feeeling to the scene

and again, visually nice on the eye as well

more traditional composition used to show how empty John Doe's "bench" is

Contrast and depth of field

I really like this, frame through a frame with some shallow depth of field

Backlighting

Contrast

Silhouettes

Contrast

Narrow focus shot, again I like this

Lkie this image, very contrasty, graded slightly and has a really shallow depth of field

and again an image wiht lots of contrast
Other trademarks of Finchers style are to ask moral questions within a film, Se7en is a prime example of this, he also often ends his films with a downbeat ending like in Se7en, this is something I could encorporate in my film.

Quote from David Fincher:

"I have a philosophy about the two extremes of filmmaking. The first is the "Kubrick way," where you're at the end of an alley in which four guys are kicking the shit out of a wino. Hopefully, the audience members will know that such a scenario is morally wrong, even though it's not presented as if the viewer is the one being beaten up; it's more as if you're witnessing an event. Inversely, there's the "Spielberg way," where you're dropped into the middle of the action and you're going to live the experience vicariously - not only through what's happening, but through the emotional flow of what people are saying. It's a much more involved style. I find myself attracted to both styles at different times, but mostly I'm interested in just presenting something and letting people decide for themselves what they want to look at."

Proves the point (I made back in another post as well) that Finchers style of film making is that it asks questions of the audience on a higher level than most films but doesn't give you the answers, your left to decide for yourself. Maybe I could leave me film with a question unanswered, through narrative (even though we aren't marked on it, make a film more enjoying to watch) and images.

No comments:

Post a Comment